Discover what’s new in Simcenter Flotherm 2021.2 electronics cooling software including:
- Support for Siemens Xcelerator Share cloud based collaboration service
- Enhanced conduction solver speed
- BCI-ROM extraction improvements for reduced order modeling
- EDA bridge automation functionality
What is Siemens Xcelerator Share? Now supported by Simcenter Flotherm 2021.2
Siemens Xcelerator Share is a cloud-based collaboration service that supports distributed working environments and is available with many Siemens software subscriptions. It is part of the Siemens Xcelerator Portfolio and provides:
- Secure cloud storage with desktop syncing
- Permission-based project sharing with task management
- Engineering-centric view & markup
- Any device, any time, browser-based access to data
Siemens Xcelerator Share is now supported by Simcenter Flotherm 2021.2. Leveraging Siemens Xcelerator Share allows you to set up collaboration projects, synchronize files to cloud storage directly from Simcenter Flotherm running on your desktop, send messages and receive notifications, and also review and mark up documents. This supports more easily working with engineering colleagues in different departments, different locations and even with external suppliers and consultants.
2 ways Siemens Xcelerator Share helps electronics thermal design processes
1) Siemens Xcelerator Share helps thermal analysis linkages to ECAD and MCAD workflows for distributed teams
Watch the 6-minute video below to see an example workflow leveraging Siemens Xcelerator Share where a thermal engineer persona using Simcenter Flotherm collaborates with electronic design team engineers (using Xpedition) and mechanical engineers (using Siemens NX) who are in distributed locations. It illustrates utilizing secure cloud-based storage, permission assignment and notifications through to engineering design review and mark up all possible with Siemens Xcelerator Share.
2) Leverage Siemens Xcelerator Share cloud based collaboration and Simcenter Flotherm automation to standardize and streamline PCB thermal analysis processes
Consider an electronics design department requiring multiple board layouts to be analyzed to find an optimum layout for thermal management. They require that the same thermal analysis process is performed on each layout and the generation of a consistent report format in each instance for ease of comparison. These teams may be in different timezones and locations and there are short project times.
Find out from this 7-minute detailed video insights on how to leverage Siemens Xcelerator Share for creating a collaborative environment and then applying Simenter Flotherm scripting capabilities to aid automated analysis steps and to create standardized reports.
The video illustrates capabilities within Simcenter Flotherm to record a Floscript macro of all steps within application windows to aid the automation of tasks. Since the previous Simcenter Flotherm 2021.1 release, this includes the ability to record macros in the EDA Bridge application window so you can capture commands to then automate import and processing of board files (e.g ODB++) with actions such as library component swap functions. The command aspects of setting up an analysis, finding components in complex board models, to post-processing and report output can also be recorded in a Floscript Macro. The Floscript recording can then be used as the basis to automate the overall process to enable analysis of multiple boards designs more efficiently. Those reports can then be shared in the Siemens Xcelerator Share project for review and mark up.
Go faster, explore the possibilities with Simcenter Flotherm 2021.2
Beyond new Siemens Xcelerator Share support, discover other areas below that help speed up analysis, or automate and standardize analysis tasks so you can explore more design options faster.
Improved conduction only solver enhances BCI-ROM extraction
An improved ‘conduction only’ solver to handle package or die models of extreme complexity is now available and up to 10x faster.
An improved BCI-ROM extraction helps accelerate the creation of reduced-order models (ROMs), especially at the highest accuracy settings.
Review how BCI-ROM technology (Boundary Condition Independent Reduce Order Model) enables earlier accuracy in electro-thermal circuit simulation and supports higher fidelity electronics thermal modeling in system-level simulation (including 1D CFD tools):
- Blog: The future of thermal design for electrothermal modelling leveraging BCI-ROM technology
Exploring electrothermal circuit simulation using a BCI-ROM exported in VHDL-AMS based form
- Video: How to use Simcenter Flotherm Reduced Order Models (BCI-ROM) in Simcenter Flomaster – a liquid cooling 1D CFD example using BCI-ROM extracted in FMU format
- Blog: EV inverter thermal modeling – System Simulation – a vehicle system power electronics topic featuring BCI-ROMs extraction and use in Simcenter Amesim
- Video: BCI-ROMs – Faster transient electronics thermal simulation
PCB thermal workflow Automation: Floscript EDA Bridge extended support
As mentioned earlier, previously in Simcenter Flotherm 2021.1 Floscript support for EDA Bridge was introduced to aid automation tasks in import and processing of PCB data into thermal models. The following were already supported actions:
- Load, Save, Save As, Transfer, Quit, Import ODB, Import CSV Layout, Import FLOEDA.
- Filter Components, Swap Components using Tool drop down menu.
- Create motherboards, daughter boards and other objects.
- Edit properties of all the object property sheets .
Now at Simcenter Flotherm 2021.2 this is extended to additionally support:
- Import IDF
- Export IDF, PDML, Pack, FloPLC, and Power lists
For users – Please Download Simcenter Flotherm 2021.2 from Support Center Now
Please note for Siemens Xcelerator Share access, please contact your support renewal or commercial representative for details.
Looking for the latest on Simcenter Flotherm XT also?
Read the blog: Simcenter Flotherm XT 2021.2: What’s New
To learn more about latest release of the CAD centric sister product to Simcenter Flotherm. The release includes new thermal territories for localized copper modeling fidelity options, enhancements to EDA Bridge for faster PCB data handling and more.