Free resources for distance learning
As COVID-19 spreads and preventive measures like social-distancing, self-quarantine and constant hand-washing become the new normal for people around the world, schools, businesses and governments are taking steps to flatten the curve of new COVID-19 cases.
Universities have been particularly swift to address this threat head-on, with several US colleges and universities sending students home, with some to continue classes online.
As the Global Academic Partner team strategizes about how we can best support our academic ecosystem in the longer-term, I want to take a minute to make everyone aware of the free resources that are already in place to support remote learning.
- Learning Advantage is our customer facing learning portal that is always free for our academic partners and students. You can check out this FAQ and this free webinar for instructions on activating your membership and student self-registration. This video will help you understand the administrative capabilities that faculty can use to assign and monitor progress on learning content, while these instructions will help you to create syllabi with links directly to the course material you wish to assign. (Note if your school has not activated their membership and you wish to get started on your own, you can get a free 30-day subscription to Learning Advantage.)
- The Learning Center on-demand libraries are also available at no cost during this time.
- There are loads of playlists on our Youtube channel that feature all sorts of Tips and Tricks for NX CAD, NX CAM, Solid Edge, Femap, Teamcenter and lots more.
- Solid Edge software and tutorials for all ages from primary school through university
- Take a look at the various tutorials and webinars available for Simcenter products
- Community and Blog for staying engaged and having access to Siemens subject matter experts
- There are several ways you can borrow licenses for software from your university while you’re off campus. This page has lots of general info about how our licenses work, while this one gives detailed instructions for checking out licenses for your personal machine.
- OpenSmartEDU, a comprehensive toolkit that includes an operational guide and accompanying self-assessment calculator to help colleges and universites gauge how effectively they are addressing a range of COVID-19 scenarios.
- Finally, you can always checkout our Free Student Downloads page, which includes our brand new free NX Student download and PADS Pro Student Edition.
We will continue to think about how we can support our academic partners during this incredibly challenging period of rapid change and we welcome any suggestions or requests that you have.
This is a great start. However, it does not address access to the NX software when the licensing arrangement covers campus computers and the school is shutdown for the foreseeable future, as many schools are right now. In contrast, SolidWorks, OnShape, and Fusion 360 (to name a few) have free or cheap access to their CAD software for students. The available one-year license for NX Learning Edition is at least two major versions behind the current version of the software, so students can’t open files created in the classroom at home. How about giving affected students free access to Siemens NX Core Designer through the end of the semester? Publishers Wiley, McGraw Hill, and Cengage, and software providers TopHat and Simio are doing something similar to that.
Professor, Central Connecticut State University
Dear Steve, have a look here: https://trials.sw.siemens.com/nx-student-edition/