From emerging sustainability regulations to rapidly changing supply chains and driver shortages, the last few years have placed significant pressure on the trucking industry. To keep up with new demand and consumer expectations alike, it’s necessary for trucking companies to rethink their processes and strategies. A recent article from HDT discusses why now is the ideal time for fleets to embrace change and prepare themselves for the future. By embarking on a digital transformation journey, fleet managers and trucking companies will not just survive but thrive amidst this era of evolution and uncertainty.
The need for change
Unpredictability has recently gripped the trucking industry. But what factors are causing fleet managers and freight companies to decide that the time for change is now or never? Unpredictable supply chain disruptions, an influx of technology and, of course, new regulations have all contributed to this precarious position for the industry. Let’s take a brief look at the main issues behind this revolution:
- Sustainability requirements: Historically, freight hasn’t been the most eco-conscious industry—but firm government regulations are now holding companies accountable for their environmental impacts. Fleets are being prompted to reevaluate their emissions and operate more sustainably.
- Supply chain disruptions: During the last few years, we’ve witnessed entire supply chain upheavals. This volatility demonstrates why preparation is the key to resiliency. Companies are in search of solutions that allow them to use data to navigate unforeseen circumstances and keep deliveries on schedule.
- Emerging technologies: Electric vehicle (EV) and autonomous vehicle (AV) technologies have made monumental strides over the last decade. Although they were once deemed too costly to adopt, these smart vehicles are becoming more widespread and more affordable. The wave of electrification is inevitable—and not taking the time to understand or entertain new technologies could mean being left behind by the competition.
With “uncertainty around every corner” being the tagline of the decade, trucking companies are realizing that their best way forwards is to welcome innovation and move forward with adaptability in mind.
Digital transformation: The recipe for prosperity
Digitalization and digital transformation have recently evolved from buzzwords to imperatives. While the trucking industry has historically been apprehensive about adopting change, many view digital transformation as a vital ingredient to the success of their businesses. In fact, according to Accenture research, 76% of freight and logistics companies felt that not focusing on building digital capabilities would ‘seriously endanger their business’.
What are the tangible benefits that digital transformation brings to this industry? By digitalizing operations, companies can gather data to power their decision making. This brings benefits such as:
- Optimized efficiency: By collecting real-time data insights, companies can monitor and manage fleet performance and identify where improvements can be made. Plus, digitalization can automate mundane tasks, reducing the time employees spend on repetitive, low value-add tasks.
- Supply chain visibility: Integration with supply chain partners allows for better cooperation, communication and transparency within the supply chain. This also enables companies to make quick changes when unanticipated issues occur.
- Positive environmental impacts: Data insights reveal where carbon emissions can be reduced. Additionally, by constantly monitoring the routes, idle time and fuel consumption of fleets, companies can pinpoint areas for fuel optimization.
- Cost savings: Through monitoring trucks, companies can use predictive maintenance to minimize vehicle downtime and repair costs.
These benefits merely skim the surface of the profound impact that data and digitalization can have on an organization. Digital transformation empowers trucking companies to not only make well-informed decisions, but also positions them ahead of upcoming regulations and technology trends—fostering their ability to thrive and prosper.
An advanced future for trucking
As technology advances, trucking businesses face a future-defining decision: embrace transformation now or risk falling behind the competition. The confluence of sustainability regulations, supply chain issues and the advent of smarter vehicles has created an environment where adaptability is a necessity. As we enter this exciting era of innovation, the industry must turn to digital transformation to accelerate towards a sustainable, promising and advanced future.
Siemens Digital Industries Software helps organizations of all sizes digitally transform using software, hardware and services from the Siemens Xcelerator business platform. Siemens’ software and the comprehensive digital twin enable companies to optimize their design, engineering and manufacturing processes to turn today’s ideas into the sustainable products of the future. From chips to entire systems, from product to process, across all industries. Siemens Digital Industries Software – Accelerating transformation.