In episode three of the transportation revolution series, Nand and I begin a two-part discussion on the development of autonomous vehicles and shared mobility systems. Our discussion focuses on the overall trends that are intertwined with the development of self-driving cars. Some key topics include regulations and policy, partnerships, and how companies can most effectively marry the many disciplines involved in AV development.
The developers of autonomous vehicles face several concurrent challenges, both technological and regulatory. Even still, companies of all sizes and from both within and outside of the automotive industry are leaping at the chance to develop fully autonomous vehicles. One thing that unites these companies is their prioritization of digital transformation. These companies are capturing information digitally and using it to drive the design and optimization of their self-driving vehicles. The result is better decision making and more efficient and effective development processes.
You can check out the next episode in our transportation revolution series below. Thanks again for listening, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the next part of our discussion on autonomous vehicles.
Transportation Revolution: Autonomous Vehicle Development – Part 1
The idea of autonomous vehicles has long been seen as something futuristic. But as we get closer and closer to the development of that technology, we’re realizing that actually deploying it is an equally complex set of challenges.
Today, we’re circling back to Nand Kochhar, the Vice President of Automotive and Transportation Industry here at Siemens Digital Industries Software. He’ll give us an overview of the particular challenges to deploying this level of technology, and the complexity of the systems needed to get to that point.
In this episode, we’ll talk about the specific regulations that exist and those that need to be considered, along with the policy partnerships required to create them. We’ll also hear about the important role digitalization plays for companies weaving together the various disciplines involved in autonomous vehicle development.
Some Questions I Ask:
- What will it take to reach true self-driving, fully autonomous vehicles? (1:21)
- How do you see shared mobility tying together the multiple ongoing trends in the automotive industry? (5:33)
- Are major automakers trying to shift their business models to adapt to these trends? (8:12)
- What do companies and automakers need to be doing in order to remain competitive, and to thrive and succeed? (10:28)
In This Episode You Will Learn:
- What needs to happen before full level 5 autonomy can be achieved (3:13)
- The biggest concern about getting autonomous vehicles on the road (4:17)
- Why collaboration with cities is so important (6:07)
- How mega-cities are shaping the future of mobility (10:53)
- The important role digitalization plays (12:58)
Connect With Nand Kochhar:
Conor Peick – Thought Leadership Writer
Conor works as a writer covering Automotive and Transportation topics for Siemens Digital Industries Software. In this role, he has helped produce a variety of materials including blogs, articles and whitepapers on automotive topics ranging from wire harness design and manufacturing to embedded software development and overall industry trends.