Low-code is quickly becoming a strategic resource for organizations in their efforts to embrace digitalization. To help distinguish numerous platforms in this space, Gartner reportedly tracks over 300 vendors active in low-code, supporting various types of low-code development. Of these, Gartner has recently evaluated the top 18 in Gartner’s 2020 Enterprise LCAP Magic Quadrant.
Those who took part in Gartner’s Low-Code Application Platform (LCAP) Magic Quadrant were evaluated against a set of key capabilities. Mendix had the best all-around scores with 3 #1 rankings (mobile, business unit IT, and fusion), a #2 placement for citizen development, and a #3 showing in Enterprise IT business process applications, setting the pace for all enterprise-grade low-code application platforms.
Mendix just so happens to also come out as the most visionary leader of the pack, and the goal of low-code being offered to developers of all types just might be why.
Mendix drastically expands the universe of professionals who can use the platform and also extends the problem space that professionals can work within to resolve issues on their own while being governed by appropriate IT guardrails. The cloud-native Mendix Platform includes several key features that further reduce complexity and add speed to software development, including:
- Mendix Data Hub: Data Hub eliminates the complexities of data integration and transforms how both professional and citizen low-code developers across the enterprise discover, understand, use, and govern data for application development, data analysis and other activities.
- Mendix Assist Performance Optimizer: A new capability within Mendix Assist, the platform’s AI-augmented development service uniquely combines static analysis of models with a dynamic runtime profiler to proactively spot performance issues. It also offers full integration with the development IDEs, offering recommendations or, with more advanced assistance, refactoring to fix an anti-pattern or implement a best practice.
- Mendix Workflow Editor: A human workflow modeler and engine that models and executes business processes from simple to complex, it incorporates an out-of-the-box yet extensible UI for end users. Workflow Editor has its own domain-specific language (DSL) that is available in both Mendix Studio and Studio Pro.
- Flexible Cloud Deployment Capabilities: Leveraging an easy-to-use and highly flexible cloud deployment model, Mendix provides a multi-cloud offering that fully integrates simple-click deployment to Mendix Cloud, SAP Cloud or any virtual private cloud via its Kubernetes operator.
- Dual Integrated Development Environments (IDEs): Mendix Studio and Studio Pro IDEs can operate as part of a single, sharable platform, decoupling the developer experience from platform services through domain-specific languages, enabling enterprises to continually access new capabilities as they are available, without increasing system complexity.
Be sure to read the full Gartner Magic Quadrant report, available here.
*Gartner, Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Low-Code Application Platforms, Paul Vincent, Yefim Natis, Kimihiko Iijima, Jason Wong, Saikat Ray, Akash Jain, Adrian Leow, 30 September 2020
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.