Flexible on demand access to best in class simulation software from Siemens Digital Industries Software
Large manufacturing companies have been using and benefiting from simulation software for decades to validate product performance. But why haven’t small manufacturers been as quick to adopt simulation-based development when the benefits of simulation have been proven? I think there are a few reasons:
- Simulation software is expensive – perhaps too expensive for a small company to include in their budget.
- Computing hardware and infrastructure is also expensive and becomes obsolete quickly.
- Development cycles within small companies are such that they don’t need to use simulation tools year-round – meaning a waste of investment if the tools are not continually used.
The combination of these two issues, cost and seasonality, are a major reason why small companies shy away from purchasing or conducting simulation themselves in-house, even though they may have the engineering expertise.
However, the internet and the cloud are rapidly changing how software is licensed, deployed and consumed. This change is impacting simulation software too.
Siemens has partnered with Rescale, a leading a cloud engineering simulation platform, to overcome the traditional barriers to simulation software licensing and accessibility. Through the Rescale platform, Siemens is offering Simcenter 3D and Simcenter Amesim through on-demand, software-as-a-service (SaaS) licensing. What this means is that companies (small or large), can gain access to high-end simulation tools without having to invest in perpetual licenses for simulation software or major computing infrastructure.
This directly addresses the challenges noted above so that now you can:
- Gain access to high-end system simulation and CAE simulation software on a monthly subscription offered in tiered capability bundles to fit your simulation needs.
- Use high-performance-computing (HPC) without having to invest in hardware or support personnel, and pay only for what you use.
- Use both simulation software and computing hardware only when you need it.
As a small company, what does this mean for your development process? As you begin conceptualizing your new system, you can go out to Rescale and gain immediate access to Simcenter Amesim through your web browser to perform system simulation at a low monthly price. Similarly, when you’re ready to do detailed assess the structural, thermal, flow, motion, or other types of performance for your product’s design, you can gain on-demand access to Simcenter 3D again right through your web browser via the Rescale platform for a monthly price without having to invest in any additional hardware. Furthermore, the SaaS license and deployment model easily let you turn these products on or off, so that you’re only paying for what you use when you need it.
But these advantages don’t just apply to small companies. Large companies can also benefit because their software usage is never steady either. The SaaS licensing model can help give large companies the flexibility to add additional licenses when they need it during peak demand. The Siemens and Rescale partnership also give customers using industry-leading solvers like Simcenter Nastran and Simcenter STAR-CCM+ immediate and flexible access to HPC resources to solve large models.
To try Simcenter for yourself, sign up today for a free trial of Simcenter Amesim or Simcenter 3D on the Rescale platform to see how Simcenter can help you engineer innovation.