What is Gamification?
Gamification is a new concept, developed by the inventor of Automotive Spice, Alec Dorling.
Gamification is all about increasing motivation. In principle the concept tells that people can be motivated to do painful daily jobs by using a few key factors:
- Getting benefits for achieving special goals or performing specified actions (points, trophies & benefits)
- Increasing own possibilities (through levels, increased permissions)
- Comparing them self to others (statistics)
These basic motivational factors can be used for a wide variety of situations and scenarios, so we from Polarion though it can also increase the user experience for an ALM solution like Polarion!
What’s in the (Extension) Box?
The Gamification Framework Extension includes core functionality to specify an own Gamification environment inside Polarion:
- Configurable Configuration
- Administrators get the possibility to define own conditions to collect points, define Trophies to achieve based on reached conditions, for example the user can get a Trophy if he/she created 10 comments, or created 50 Work Items. With each point and Trophy the users can reach configurable levels.It’s your choice to honor different achievements with benefits like free gifts or additional vacation days!
- A Sample configuration including different conditions, trophies and levels
- Together with the Technical Framework you will get a detailed readme-file with instructions on how to extend and configure the framework.
- 2 sample Wiki pages to help you getting started to create personal statistics pages, eg to compare departments or teams
The readme file gives you detailed information from installation, to configuration and use:
Two included Wiki pages give you an overview on how statistics can be fetched and displayed:
The Extension is provided as is and can be freely modified.