My practice of recording things I learned each day continues, but I notice that I am not quite so observant of or receptive to new information as I was. I wonder if this is a lock-down thing? …
Here is a selection of new, useful (?) facts:
- The hippo is the world’s deadliest land animal.
- When a Muslim baby is born the first thing it hears is it’s father’s voice saying a prayer.
- “Arriviste” is a great word – noun or adjective.
- Pirates used an eye patch to preserve night vision in one eye to let them see below deck, when they’d swap eyes.
- Saying: No one ever made a greater mistake than the man who did nothing because he could only do a little.
- A teardrop tattoo means someone has killed a person.
- Elizabeth I did not execute many Catholics, but fined/taxed them £20 a month, which raised £45K at the time of the Spanish Armada.
- Michelle Obama’s maiden name was Robinson.
- 5^5 x 4^4 x 3^3 x 2^2 x 1^1 = number of milliseconds in a year.
- The “beep” during NASA radio communications is called a “Quindar-Tone”.
There will be more …