Simulation Process and Data Management is the answer to boosting analyst productivity
There has been a significant need for a Simulation Process and Data Management (SPDM) system due to an increased usage of CAE simulation in product development processes. According to a CIMData report, in 2018 Simulation & Analysis revenues grew to nearly $6.5 billion worldwide, an increase of 13.1% from previous year. It continues to be one of the “rapidly growing segments” and is expected to reach $11 billion in 2023.
This rise is not surprising as more and more companies are seeing the benefits of incorporating CAE simulations in their product development process.
However, with this increased usage, companies frequently face the following business and system challenges:
- Inefficiencies in Product Development: Analysts spend a significant amount of time searching data and providing data to others. Furthermore, there is lack of traceability and poor visibility of simulation results.
- Poor Collaboration: Collaboration between teams working in different locations and time zones is difficult and un-secure.
- Lack of Data Reuse: Simulation teams within an organization typically use different simulations processes, analysis, and tools. Due to lack of data management, analysts end up wasting time redoing entire analyses instead of reusing past data.
To overcome these challenges, it is essential to employ an SPDM system. Best described by NAFEMS, SPDM is “a technology which uses database solutions to enable users to manage structures of simulation and process data across the complete product lifecycle. SDM artifacts can be data, models, processes, documents, and metadata relevant to modeling, simulation, and analysis.”
Siemens Digital Industries Software is a leading software provider in the SPDM space with its very own CAE Simulation Management solution (a.k.a TcSim). An add-on module to Siemens flagship PLM software Teamcenter, TcSim has been specifically designed to help companies avoid the above challenges by allowing them to gain complete control of their CAE simulation data and process.
TcSim offers several benefits, some of which include:
- Supports the increasing volume and complexity of simulation work by managing data and processes.
- Increases confidence in simulations with complete traceability from requirements through design and validation.
- Speeds up simulations by improved collaboration, reducing time to find data and enabling greater re-use of work.
- Helps deliver results faster by standardizing and automating simulation processes.
- Provides visibility into the simulation process and results for program management and downstream operations.
- Manages and standardizes access to simulation tools.
- Minimizes implementation costs and risk by leveraging the proven Teamcenter platform as the common infrastructure solution.
To get a quick demo of TcSim, please contact your local Siemens sales representative.
About the author Rohan Wanchoo is part of Teamcenter Simulation Product Management team at Siemens PLM Software. This article is the first of a series of articles that will be posted on TcSim.