You can now get Solid Edge for $130 a month (press release)What is the catch? This is just the initial launch that is starting in the US and UK … and you will need a credit card.
Here are some catches we don’t have:
- There is no obligation to rent for more than one month.
- You pay by credit card online and download online. No need to talk to a salesman.
- There is no requirement to be connected to the internet to run (although the internet might come in handy to download the software and get the next month’s license)
- Support for the software? Yep, that is included.
Basically, Siemens PLM is providing customers a new option for getting access to Solid Edge. Options are good because not everyone needs the same thing:
- Let’s say you need to add a new seat for the coop that will be here for the next threemonths. This is much cheaper.
- Have a small company on a budget but need serious CAD software? Problem solved.
- Are you contracting and needing to have Solid Edge for just a few months? Check.
There are options to these options too. Solid Edge is offered at four different levels starting at $130 a month. You only pay for the functionality you want when you want it. At the high end is the premium package that has everything a mechanical CAD engineer would want… all the drawing and design goodness plus specialized applications for FEA, rendering, wire harness design, piping and tube design, standard part, data management and more.
All versions come with synchronous technology meaning you can easily import and MODIFY parts and assemblies from other CAD systems.
Here is the online store for more details.
Of course, a subscription may not be the best for everyone. Matt Lombard has put together another post to discuss if this would be a useful option for you. Here is the post.